Zeyang Xia   Ph.D., Professor
Director, CAS/SIAT Soft Robotics Research Center
Dr. Zeyang Xia is a Professor and the director of Soft Robotics Research Center at Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology (SIAT), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Fellow of IET, winner of Guangdong Natural Science Funds for Distinguished Young Scholar and winner of Excellent Member Award, Youth Innovation Promotion Association, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
He received the B.S. degree from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, in 2002, and the Ph.D. degree from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, in 2008, respectively. After that, he had been working at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore as a Research Fellow from 2008-2009, and Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, U.S., as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow and then a Research Assistant Professor from 2009 to 2012. Dr. Xia joined SIAT, CAS in 2012, and was then promoted to a full Professor in 2016.
Dr. Xia’s research focuses on fundamentals and applications of innovative soft robotics, medical robots and biomechanics, multi-model robotic manipulation and control. Dr. Xia has been the PI of over twenty research grants including the National Key Research and Development Plan of China, Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), and Guangdong Province Major Science and Technology Project. Dr. Xia has published about 100 research papers, and has applied for over 60 patents until end of 2020.
He is the winner of Wu Wenjun Artificial Intelligence Science and Technology Award (Natural Science) (2017), the winner of Xiong Youlun Zhihu Excellent Youth Scientist Award (2019), and the Excellent Scientific and Technical Workers of the Chinese Institute of Electronics (2018). Related research work has been reported many times by the China Science Daily and other media. Dr. Xia is the Vice Chairman and 2021 Acting Chairman of the Chinese Institute of Electronics (CIE) Young Scientist Club, Young Vice Chairman of the Robotics Committee, CIE, and members of serval primary Chinese Institutes and their committees in robotics and artificial intelligence.Dr. Xia is a Fellow of IET (since 2019) and a senior member of IEEE (since 2016). He served as the General Chair of IEEE RCAR 2019 and key organizing members of several other IEEE or CIE robotics conferences. He serves as the Technical Editor (2021-2023) of IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. Chairman, and also served as the chairman of Guangzhou Branch of the CAS Youth Innovation Promotion Association, a representative of the sixth major representatives of Shenzhen Association for Science and Technology, and a representative of the forum of Shenzhen National Science and Technology Workers day in 2019.
- 1998 to 2002, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, B.S.
- 2002 to 2008, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, Ph.D.
- 2005 to 2006, Technical University of Munich, Germany, visiting Ph.D. student (Sandwich Program).
- 2008 to 2009, Research Fellow. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- 2009 to 2012, Postdoctoral Fellow and Assistant Research Professor. Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.
- 2012 to 2016, Associate Professor, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
- 2016 to date, Professor, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
- Winner of Excellent Member Award, Youth Innovation Promotion Association, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2019
- Winner of Xiong Youlun Zhihu Excellent Youth Scientist Award, 2019
- Winner of the Wu Wenjun Artificial Intelligent Natural Science Award, 2017
- Winner of Guangdong Province High-level Personnel of Special Support Program, 2016
- Winner of Guangdong Natural Science Funds for Distinguished Young Scholar, 2015
Appointments to Editorial Boards
- IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Technical Editor (2021-2023)（JCR Q1, IF: 5.673）
- Editorial Board Member, IET Cyber-Systems and Robotics (2019- )
- Associate Editor, IEEE Access (2018- ) (JCR Q1, IF: 4.098）
- General Chair, The 2019 IEEE Int. Conf. on Real-time Computing and Robotics (IEEE RCAR 2019)
- Organizing Co-Chair, The 9th IEEE Int. Conf. on CYBER Tech. in Automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems (IEEE CYBER 2019)
- Publication Chair, The 2018 IEEE Int. Conf. on Real-time Computing and Robotics (IEEE RCAR 2018)
- Publicity Chair, The 2018 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE ROBIO 2018)
- Chair, The 2017 World Robot Conference (WRC) Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum on Robot
- Program Co-Chair, The 2017 Int. Conf. on Computer Vision Systems (ICVS 2017)
- Program Co-Chair, The 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Real-time Computing and Robotics (IEEE RCAR 2016)
International Academic Service and Membership
- Fellow, IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) (2019- )
- Senior Member, IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers) (2016- )
- Co-Chair, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Guangdong Chapter (2015- )
Demestic Academic Service and Membership
- Vice Chairman & 2021 Acting Chairman, CIE Young Scientist Club (2018- )
- Young Vice Chairman, CIE Robotics Committee (2020- )
- Chairman, Guangzhou Branch of the CAS Youth Innovation Promotion Association (2018-2020)
- Board Member, CSTVE (The Chinese Society for Technical and Vocational Education) (2018- )
- Member, CSTVE Academic Committee (2018- )
- Member, CAYST (The Chinese Association of Young Scientists and Technologists) (2019- )
- Member, CAA Technical Committee on Robotics (2019- )
- Board Member, GDAYS (Guangdong Association of Young Scientists) (2019- )
- Board Member, GSAIR (Guangdong Society of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics) (2019- )
- Founding member & Board member, Shenzhen High-level Talents Association (2014- )
- Board Member, SYSTTA (Shenzhen Young Science and Technology Talents Association) (2017- )
Selected Grants   [Read More]
- PI, National Natural Science Foundation, 2021-2024, RMB 2,870,000.
- PI, Chinese Academy of Sciences Youth Innovation Promotion Association Excellent Member Program, 2020-2022, RMB 3,000,000.
- PI, National Natural Science Foundation, 2018-2021, RMB 650,000.
- PI, NSFC-JSPS Scientific Cooperation Program, 2018-2020, RMB 200,000.
- PI, Inter-governmental Cooperative Sci. and Tech. Project, Ministry of Science and Technology, China, 2017-2019, RMB 2,380,000.
- PI, Guangdong Province High-level Personnel of Special Support Program, 2016-2019, RMB 300,000.
- PI, Guangdong Natural Science Funds for Distinguished Young Scholar, 2015-2019, RMB 1,000,000.
- PI, Major Project of Guangdong Province Science and Technology Department, 2015-2017, RMB 5,000,000.
- PI, Chinese Academy of Sciences Youth Innovation Promotion Association, 2015-2018, RMB 600,000.
- PI, National Science Foundation of China, 2014-2016, RMB 260,000.
- PI, Shenzhen High-level Oversea Talent Program, 2013-2015, RMB 1,000,000.
Doctoral course: Robotics: Technologies and Applications
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 141081232801770006
Selected Journal Papers    [See Full List]    [LinkedIn] [ResearchGate] [Google Scholar] [dplp] [IEEE Xplore]
- Y. Chen, Z. Xia, Q. Zhao, ”Optimal design of soft pneumatic bending actuators subjected to design-dependent pressure loads”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2019.12, Vol. 24(6), 2873-2884. (JCR Q1, IF: 4.943).    [PDF]
- X. Zhou, Y. Gan, Q. Zhao, J. Xiong, Z. Xia, “Simulation of orthodontic force of archwire applied to full dentition using virtual bracket displacement method”, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 2019: e3189, doi: 10.1002/cnm.3189. (JCR Q2, IF: 2.082)    [PDF]
- Y. Gan, J. Xiong, Q. Zhao, Z. Xia, Effect of Boundary Condition and Model Structure Integrity of Tooth-PDL-Bone Complex on Tooth Mode Computation, IEEE Access, 2019, 7(1): 17207-17214. (JCR Q1, IF: 4.098)    [PDF]
- T. Yan, Y. Gan, Z. Xia, Q. Zhao, Segment-Based Disparity Refinement With Occlusion Handling for Stereo Matching, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2019, doi: 10.1109/TIP.2019.2903318. (JCR Q1, IF: 6.790)    [PDF]
- T. Zhu, Z. Xia, J. Dong, Q. Zhao. “A sociable Human-Robot Interaction Scheme based on Body Emotion Analysis”. International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, 2019, 17(2): 474–485 (JCR Q3, IF=2.181)    [PDF]
- X. Zhou, Y. Gan, J. Xiong, D. Zhang, Q. Zhao and Z. Xia, A Method for Tooth Model Reconstruction Based on Integration of Multimodal Images, Journal of Healthcare Engineering, (JCR Q4, IF:1.295)    [PDF]
- T. Zhu, Y. Zhou, Z. Xia, J. Dong, Q. Zhao, Progressive Filtering Approach for Early Human Action Recognition, International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems. (JCR Q3, IF=2.181)    [PDF]
- Y. Gan, Z. Xia, , J. Xiong, G. Li, Q. Zhao. “Tooth and Alveolar Bone Segmentation from Dental Computed Tomography Images”. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Vol. 22(1), 2018.01, pp.196-204. (JCR Q1, IF:4.217)    [PDF]
- T. Zhu, Q. Zhao, W. Wan, Z. Xia, “Robust Regression-based Motion Perception for Online Imitation on Humanoid Robot”, International Journal of Social Robotics, Vol. 9(5), 2017.11. pp. 705–725. (JCR Q3, IF:2.296)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, Y. Gan, L. Chang, J. Xiong, Q. Zhao, “Individual tooth segmentation from CT images scanned with contacts of maxillary and mandible teeth”, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol. 138,2017.01, pp.1–12. (JCR Q1, IF:3.424)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, Y. Gan, J. Xiong, Q. Zhao, J. Chen, “Crown Segmentation from Computed Tomography Images with Metal Artifacts”, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol.23(5), 2016.05, pp.678-682. (JCR Q2, IF:3.268)    [PDF]
- Y. Gan, Z. Xia, J. Xiong, Q. Zhao, Y. Hu, J. Zhang, “Toward Accurate Tooth Segmentation from Computer Tomography Images Using a Hybrid Active Contour Model”, Medical Physics, Vol. 42(1), 2015.01, pp.14-27. (JCR Q2, IF:3.177)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, J. Chen, F. Jiang, S. Li, R. Viecilli, S. Liu, “Load System of Segmental T-Loops for Canine Retraction”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Vol. 144 (4), 2013.10, pp.548-556. (JCR Q2, IF:1.911)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, F. Jiang, J. Chen, “Estimation of Periodontal Ligament’s Equivalent Mechanical Parameters for Finite Element Modeling”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Vol. 143 (4), 2013.05, pp.486-491. (JCR Q2, IF:1.911)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, J. Chen, “Biomechanical Validation of a Tooth-PDL-Bone Complex for In-vitro Orthodontic Load Measurement”, Angle Orthodontist, Vol. 83(3), 2013.03, pp.410-417. (JCR Q2, IF:1.880)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, J. Xiong, K. Chen, “Global Navigation for Humanoid Robots Using Sampling-Based Footstep Planners”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 16(4), 2011.07, pp.716-723. (JCR Q1,IF:4.943)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, J. Xiong, K. Chen, “Parameter self-adaptation in biped navigation employing non-uniform randomized footstep planner”, Robotica, Vol. 28(6), 2010, pp.929-936. (JCR Q4, IF:1.184)    [PDF]
- Z. Xia, L. Liu, J. Xiong, Q. Yi, K. Chen, “Design aspects and developments of humanoid robot THBIP-2”, Robotica, Vol. 26(1), 2008, pp.109-116. (JCR Q4, IF:1.184)    [PDF]
Email: zy.xia(at)siat.ac.cn; xiagroup(at)siat.ac.cn (Assistant)
Address: 1068 Xueyuan Avenue, Shenzhen, 518055, China